A – CEC PRINCIPLES AND VALUES
Each CEC is asked to respect the following 13 Principles and values
- To be welcoming and accessible to all – a clearly illustrated decision making system’ – signposting how people can get involved and decisions are made.
- To work towards Sustainability in all aspects of running the center.
- Support Climate and Social justice : the fight for climate justice cannot be removed from the social and economic context. We support social, environmental and economic justice for all Globally. https://genderandenvironment.org/resource/climate-change-social-justice/
- To actively uphold Human Rights https://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/ and Earth Rights https://therightsofnature.org/universal-declaration/
- Vegetarian food – it’s better for the planet.Simple.
- To work in a spirit of Mutual aid, support and cooperation. Building networks of autonomy within communities across the UK. With the awareness that Autonomy brings with it a RESPONSIBILITY to think FULLY about how your actions will affect those around you. People / groups make their own decisions but ALWAYS consider the consequences for those around them.
- To support Direct / Participatory democracy – build Future Democracy Hubs – TRUST THE PEOPLE
- Help to set up Community / People’s Assemblies
- To Create System Change – finding new ways to organise and work and live life -that values and supports all life on earth.
- To encourage Supportive / Regenerative culture -Wellbeing : looking after ourselves, others and the Planet and all its inhabitants. Support Wellbeing , we are ALL crew.
- To operate a safer spaces policy.
- To recognise we are all Evolving and learning. All projects and communities will have ups and downs , mistakes, learnings and evolutions, keep networking.
It can be explained in terms of ‘ it’s natural to make mistakes’ By allowing people to make mistakes, but by always using mistakes (whether they lead to conflict or unexpected outcomes) to learn and evolve. Be patient with each other and cultivate compassion.
NB Each group may want to define and discuss their own principles and values – they would like to add to this list every group has different needs and priorities.
B – CEC SHORT PROJECT BRIEF / OUTLINE 1 PAGE OF A4
The Vision – Who you are and what the CEC is for, What is it going to do , Where will it be and Why do we need it.
Get together in your group and brainstorm a vision of what you want for your CEC. Then create a 1 page of A4 brief leaflet, that can be shown to others. Eg:
We are a local group who want to set up a CEC. To do some of the following activities : eco community events, arts/ crafts, talks, workshops, meetings, cinema, library, fundraising projects. Because it is urgent that we ALL cooperate on solutions to the Climate Emergency. We require a space to meet and discuss, design and innovate, incubate eco business start ups, and collaborate on sustainable futures. A transitional space to a more ecological, participatory and fairer future. The project is self funded from events, food and drink and space hire.
For further info Contact email/ tel.
C – AN BRIEF OVERVIEW OF THE CEC PROJECT
Appendix C of the handbook 2 page outline https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-ZTrB9CWxhLyjK8Yd1Vkdd7vYTPHL8e-SjhmuzNw0l4/edit?usp=sharing
D – DEVELOPER/ PROPERTY OWNER TEMPLATE LETTER – (Edit letters as you feel for your group)
Dear Ms/Mr X,
REF: Property at 3 High St, Nowhereville, somewhereland
We are writing to you as a group of people looking to strengthen our community in the face of the Climate Emergency. We are planning to start a Climate Emergency Centre to bring everyone together to share skills, resources, and meet needs so we can support each other. We hope it will become a strong and vibrant heart of the community that provides us with a resilient and positive identity. We would like to discuss this with you in the hope that your property, above, can house the Project by use of a Meanwhile Lease in a manner that provides financial, civic, and reputational benefits for you.
Currently, our team represents and/or is connected with groups including [e.g. local repair cafe, transition town group, friends of the Earth, food share coop, permaculture group, youth/elders/student groups , local knitting circle etc]. We are also working with [Councillor X] who sits on the [local Borough/Town/County] Council and sits on the [Sustainability or ……] Committee. He/She/They is supporting the Project and providing guidance and advice from the Council perspective in order to meet the local [‘Climate Action Plan targets set following declaration of Climate Emergency on x date- if this has happened].
The Project uses a business model that enables you to benefit from up to 80-100% Business Rates relief for the agreed period of the Lease, with a negotiated ‘community grant’ to the Climate Emergency Centre to help fund the Project’s aims. In return we will caretake the property and provide onsite 24 hour security, minor maintenance thus reducing your overheads. You can find out more about the Climate Emergency Centre project, which aims to build local centres meeting community needs all over the UK, through this link- CEC Project- Brief Overview
Or the website https://climateemergencycentre.co.uk
We would like an opportunity to meet with you so we can discuss our plans in more detail, and hear from you regarding your plans for the building and how we may able to meet your needs during this period that it lies empty. Please contact [us via… phone/email etc].
looking forward to mutually beneficial arrangement and speaking to you soon
The CEC Team!
E – LOCAL RESIDENT/ NEIGHBOURS/ COMMUNITY TEMPLATE LETTER– to be delivered early in the project set up.
Dear local residents/community
We are aiming to/ or have, set up a Climate Emergency Centre at ………………
We would like to reach out to you and invite you to visit or to get involved in some way. We have a general open organising meeting for newcomers on monday at 7 pm.
The property has a number of useful rooms and space that could be used by the local community and groups in the area. We will be running a number of talks ,workshops and awareness and fundraising events in the space, cinema, community gardens etc.
We are most interested in your ideas and involvement in the space……please pop in for a cup of tea ,if you have some ideas and talk to one of the caretakers or email SomewhereCEC…@gmail.com
Looking forward to building community with you
CEC Community arts collective.
F – LOCAL BUSINESS REQUEST FOR HELP/RESOURCES TEMPLATE LETTER
Hello local business
We are the (eg Community Arts Collective), we are setting up a CEC at ….address.
It is a community run environmental project aimed at building community resilience and mutual support by bringing local groups together to share skills and resources.We would like your business to help. Anything you have to spare that you can donate would be much appreciated by the local community groups using the Centre. In particular, we are looking for… eg wood panels, stationary, plants, paint, furniture, tools, books, clothes etc – here is a link yo our wish list etc
Or words to this effect.
Jo Smith – CAC
G – LOCAL AUTHORITY/COUNCIL TEMPLATE LETTER
Dear Council member
We are writing to you as local residents /concerned citizens : in the area seeking your support to build a sustainable eco community project. We are aware that you have a strong history of advocating for sustainability in the [Borough/Town/County] and were one of the Councillors who successfully campaigned for the Declaration of a Climate Emergency locally [adjust if they have not declared, based on their voting record re other sustainable things- public transport, bike lanes, green spaces etc].
We expect that our Project will help you to meet the goals in the Council’s [Climate Action Plan/ sustainable development goals, or whatever your Council calls theirs] by involving people in building the resources and changes we need locally to become a strong, connected and resilient community.
With this in mind we are looking to build a Climate Emergency Centre in a currently vacant property in the Borough/ Town. You can read more about how a Climate Emergency Centre works here- CEC Project- Brief Overview
Our Team currently represents several interested local groups, including [Transition Town, Mutual Aid, Repair Cafe, Students group, youth/ elders groups, Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace etc] and we are reaching out to others to build a broad and diverse base.
The Borough/ Town/ County has strong concerns about our situation and the climate crisis we face, as evidenced by the presence of [various groups including any campaigns for specific ‘green’ issues locally] and the recent local school strikes. We believe this is the next step in gathering us together to build solutions that meet our community’s needs. We would like to meet with you to discuss our plans and how we can work together, with local business/ property owners, to do this.
Please contact us on….tel/email.
With hope and energy
The CEC Team! Signed ……..
H -LOCAL TOWN/CITY/COMMUNITY GROUPS- OUTREACH TEMPLATE LETTER
Hi …….local group
We are the Climate Emergency Centre Collective of ….(City) we are working on setting up a Climate emergency Centre project space, we are looking for a vacant property in the city or we have found / acquired a space.
Our aim/ purpose is to find / create an environmental community space that we can all work together on, to find solutions to the climate and social crisis’, supporting local issues, building community networks, sustainability and resilience.
It will be a space where we can share access to space, resources, skills and knowledge and build local mutual support networks.
We feel you are a vibrant and well respected group within the local community and would like your involvement in the project.
We would like to invite you to the next Climate Emergency Centre meeting date /time. For more info check our local group website www……..
Yours CEC Collective Email / Tel
I – OUTREACH STRATEGY – GENERIC LIST OF UP TO 50 GROUPS that can be located in each town / city to be used to help build the Climate Emergency Alliance. Local stakeholder mapping – look for groups in the following categories – send them an email.
- Local community stakeholders
- Disability support groups
- Permaculture groups
- Recycling and reuse projects
- Vegetarian / vegan
- Youth groups
- Elders groups
- Women’s groups
- BAME groups
- LGBT groups
- Local scout groups
- Farmers and food providers
- Extinction Rebellion groups
- Friends of the Earth
- Theatre groups
- Dance groups
- Event production / party /entertainment
- Festival, summer fair or Fete groups
- Gardening groups
- Health food shops
- Health and fitness projects
- Renewable energy groups/companies
- Community currency groups
- Social media campaigns
- Local mainstream media outlets, Press TV radio and papers
- Local politicians / councillors / MPs
- Community leaders and influencers
- Music / studio and promotion groups
- Arts craft and culture groups
- Local schools and colleges
- Universities network
- Mums and kids groups, Young parents
- Local campaigns and protest groups
- Youth climate strike
- Local hardware and building supplies companies – for Upcycled resources
- Local NGOs
- Local Govt and council associated groups
- Faith groups
- Tech groups
- Film makers
- Permaculture groups
- Grant and funding bodies
- Wildlife and conservation groups
- Tree planting groups etc etc
J – SET UP A CLEAR RECYCLE AND RE-USE SYSTEM ASAP at beginning with these easily downloadable and printable signs template ……….
K ) Eco Ethics – Eco / Sustainability Policy – ethical and sustainable policy of CEC Groups using the space should have agreements to work toward eco principles and reducing their carbon footprint, ethical sourcing of materials and human / animal / Earth Rights.
– a list can be provided of local eco friendly businesses, suppliers and services.
L ) policy and procedures example templates from UK CECs – Coming soon – Guildford , Swindon , Ilford